Tuesday, October 18, 2005

One week on, quite a few to go!

It's been a week since I flew out from Heathrow to New Zealand, but it feels like far longer. I feel fairly well settled in now; I know where most things are and how they work over here. Everything's a bit different, but usually in a good way.

So on Monday, Simon and I went on a free tour laid on by Kiwi Experience, the main bus tour company in New Zealand. I've already booked a tour with another company, but it was free and another oppurtunity to meet other people, so why not?

So the guide took us on a three hour trip around Auckland, stopping off at Devonport as the main destination. We'd already been there previously, but the guide pointed out a few new things that I hadn't seen before. It was ultimately a marketing exercise for Kiwi Experience who are trying to sign up as many of us for their tours, but it as long as you knew that, it was an enjoyable free trip around town.

That evening Simon and I went back to Devonport by ferry and after dinner, we ventured up to one of the extinct volcanoes to photograph Auckland by sunset and night. It took a while to figure out the best perspective, but I think I got some cool shots of the harbour and the city behind it.

Observation of the Day - In New Zealand, prices are always to the nearest 5 or 10 cents, so you never get anything priced 2.99 and end up with a ton of useless change. I haven't even seen a 1 or 2 cent coin yet!