Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Flying Kiwi day eighteen - Lake Hawea

I haven't had much Internet access recently, so bear with me as I update this to the present!

So on Friday (the 11th), we were in Queenstown and I had a late start before heading down into town to update this. I then returned to the campsite where Lisa - our guide - asked for my help with the shopping and I duly obliged. We went off to the supermarket, where we had to get food for 20 people for a few days, not a small amount I can assure you! Three trollies and $800 later, we drove back to the campsite and packed up everything ready to drive out at 3pm.

Four of our group left us at Queenstown;Andie and Alice who joined us in Auckland, followed by Anna and Marta who got on at Picton. We gained eight new people though, seven German exchange students and Katie from the UK. In total, we were now 22, of which only 7 were guys...

So on we went towards Lake Hawea, heading North and West to the coast. As we passed through the countryside, a rear tire on the bus blew, but fortunately outside of a pub, so we had to spend an hour or so relaxing in their beer garden. Back on the road again, we passed through Cromwell, New Zealand's fruit capital (with giant fruit in the centre of town!), before ending up at a rainy Lake Hawea for the night.