Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Flying Kiwi day sixteen - Queenstown

On Wednesday (yesterday, I'm catching up!), we travelled to Queenstown a day early, instead of spending longer in Te Anau. Queenstown is the self-proclaimed adventure sports capital of the world and the resort town certainly seems to live up to it. I don't know of anywhere else with a population of only 10,000 that has an international airport and a Louis Vuitton store.

On the way, we stopped at a viewpoint over the 'S' shaped Lake Wakatipu and it was probably one of the best views I've seen in New Zealand yet, and that's saying something. As I stood upon a rocky outcrop, I could see the mountains, lake and forests before me. It was almost like The Lord of the Rings theme music was going to come on any second.

We had the whole afternoon in Queenstown to do whatever we wanted, so after lunch I went up in a Pitts Special Red Bull stunt plane for 20 minutes, which was so good it was beyond words. The weather was great and the team there were so laid back almost to the point of being worrying. It turned out to be so much better than my already high expectations, as we did numerous turns, loops, rolls and the like. The scenery wasn't bad either!

We've got another day and a half here, so I'll save some other observations for then.