Friday, January 20, 2006

The day I bought an umbrella

In short, Sydney's weather is hardly ideal at the moment. Every day it's raining very lightly, but enough to stop you from going out and doing anything. It's so frustrating to be stuck inside or limited to indoor attractions. So on Tuesday I went and bought my first umbrella, in summer-time Sydney of all places!

After going to Work and Travel in the morning to check on the Internet, I met up with Victoria for lunch. She was travelling off to Melbourne, so I said goodbye shortly after and walked to the Sydney Aquarium in Darling Harbour.

Apparently the Sydney Aquarium is the country's most visited attraction, and I don't know whether to be surprised at that or not. I would have thought that something like Uluru or the Opera House would top it, but not so. When you visit the aquarium though, it's obvious why it's so highly recommended by everyone.

The aquarium is split up into different zones themed by environment, incorporating all sorts of different marine wildlife, from starfish to alligators and sharks. There are even three tanks which you can walk through in glass tunnels, with the fish swimming all around you.

After visiting the aquarium, I went to Work and Travel and then to Base Backpackers to book a few more nights, before going to Hyde Park to have a quiet read. That evening I had a walk around Darling Harbour, which I hadn't seen at night before.

On Wednesday morning I checked out of the Wood Duck Inn and got a taxi back to Base, where I checked in. My new room is actually double the size of the old one with the same number of beds, which is quite unusual for a city hostel.

I spent much of the day at the Work and Travel office, waiting for a phone call from the people at the resort, but they didn't call so I asked the job advisors to follow up the application. The woman who had handled my application arranged a telephone interview for the following morning, which I was really pleased about because I could at least prepare for a certain time and not spend whole days worrying about phone signal strength.