Friday, January 20, 2006

A Zoo and an interview

On Thursday morning I went down to the Royal Botanical Gardens because it's one of the quietest places I could find and had my phone interview with a woman at Heron Island. I think it went fairly well even though I was hurried on some questions and couldn't answer fully. They'd also changed my application to be a kitchen steward instead of a room attendant because there were other people more qualified.

After the interview, I went back to the Work and Travel office and then had lunch before going to Taronga Zoo. Located across the harbour on the northern shore, it's fairly expensive compared to something like the aquarium, but probably worth the cost. Like any zoo, there are plenty of tigers, lions and the like, but this one has a more Australasian theme with plenty of kangaroos and other native animals, some of which I haven't seen before.

After a trip to the zoo, I returned to Base Backpackers and then went to the Work and Travel office where they were hosting a 'Northern Territory discovery night'. It was basically a big PR event with lots of tour operators and the tourism board for the NT there, but they were giving away free food and drink as well as prizes. The Northern Territory isn't one of the most popular areas of Australia, but it's definitely worth a visit and it's somewhere I'll no doubt be heading sooner or later.