Thursday, April 27, 2006

Heron Island week eleven

As my eleventh week on the island unfolded, work got a lot easier as one of our stewards had been dismissed a fortnight before (for not doing particularly intelligent things - I'll leave it at that!) and the two new stewards were really getting into their stride. We got out on time most nights and I also got a few 10-6.30 shifts, which are by far the easiest.

On Tuesday I went over to Gladstone in the afternoon on the ferry, as I had my echocardiogram heart scan the next day. I booked my flights to Sydney and went to the library once I was over there, then went to the hospital the next morning. The scan on Thursday was similar to the one that pregnant women have, with a triangular black and white ultrasound image on the screen of your heart. The doctor didn't comment on it at the time and just went about measuring this and that from various different angles. It took about half and hour I guess, but I would have to wait "up to two weeks" for hte results. Not a lot of use, but what can you do?