Thursday, April 27, 2006

Heron Island week twelve

As the end of my time at Heron Island approached, work got just a little bit easier every day. Things were being fixed, I had more and more easier shifts and we had a good team of stewards. Outside of work, I had a pretty good week too. I had Thursday and Friday off, so went out fishing on Thursday afternoon. It wasn't as lively as it has been, but Cam (one of the boat staff) caught a leopard shark - as you can see - and even managed to get it up on to the rear of the boat and then lift it up for a photo (which unfortunately I don't have!). They're not something you'd exactly play with, but once out of the water they're usually stunned enough to move around safely. Of course, he pushed it back into the water for another day!

On the Friday, I went for a walk down to the beach to take some photos and as luck would have it, a lone green turtle hatchling was making its way down the beach. For it to be out in the middle of the day was rare enough, but this late in the season made it even more so. They're so cute and great fun to watch, even if one in a thousand survive to adulthood.