Thursday, April 27, 2006

Heron Island week ten

My tenth week on Heron wasn't exactly the most eventful one, with mostly morning shifts and a single afternoon shift, but I did get to go out on the reef with an underwater camera. My (SLR) camera isn't very useful for using underwater because the cases you need are expensive and a lot bigger than those for smaller compacts. After asking around though, I found out that Mel - one of the waitresses I worked with - had a digital compact camera and the underwater case to go with it.

So on Thursday morning, Mel, Nikki (another waitress) and I went out for a snorkel around the Protector wreck with the camera and I went out again the next day to the reef edge, where the better coral is to be found. Even with a screen on the back of the camera, it's still extremely difficult to compose shots and I occasionally resorted to using the camera's video function to capture the reef instead. Amongst the countless blurry images, there are a few decent ones though and I hope they provide some idea of what it's like down there.