Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Heron Island week seven

My seventh week on Heron begun with a day off, which I managed to fit both fishing and snorkelling into. On Monday morning I got on the snorkel boat out to the reef edge, where the coral and wildlife is more varied and colourful than on the reef flat (which you can get to by walking right off the beach). The sea was really flat and visibility good, so I had an enjoyable hour's snorkelling before returning for lunch. In the afternoon I went out on the fishing boat and although it was a bit quiter than usual, I caught a Coral Trout and cooked it on the BBQ that evening.

On Tuesday and Wednesday I worked the 3.30pm shift and then had the next day off. Thursday marked my mid-way point at Heron, with six and a half weeks done and the same to go. It was also my day off, which I didn't spend doing much apart from watching a couple of movies and going down to the beach to watch the sunset. My week then concluded with a 3.30 and then two split shifts.